Nisomar (NSM) Shipping was established in early 2017 and has already become one of the leading shipping and logistics companies in Kenya. We have expertise in all major areas of ships agency including liner, bulk, break bulk, tanker agency, oil and gas, cruise vessels and navy.
Our aim is to provide the highest quality maritime and logistics solutions to shipping lines, charterers and traders in the region. The Nisomar (NSM) team comprises a lean team of 16 staff with a combined experience of over 150 years in the Shipping Industry.
We focus our efforts on providing tailor made services to our customers that will not only meet their needs but provide high levels of customer satisfaction. We believe that by being young, small and dynamic we are able to offer personalised services to the extent that we are considered a complete part of our customers' process.
Since inception in April 2017, we are proud to have handled over 180 vessel calls which has included, grain, steel, fertiliser, project cargo’s, tankers, military support vessels, dredgers and bunker callers.
We offer full vessel agency, covering project cargo carriers, bulk, break bulk, oil tankers, passenger and navy vessels. We are also able to offer competitive fees for arms clearance and storage of weapons.
PASSENGER & NAVY
Successful handling of both navy and passenger vessel calls require unique experience, knowledge of customer requirements and extreme discipline to deliver and support the ship in the most cost-effective way for the principal. NSM has the experience and understands the sensitivities related to tight schedules and cost efficiencies in every aspect of the operation. Our team at Nisomar (NSM) has over 60 years’ experience in handling passenger and navy vessels.
We provide the services of customs clearance, freight forwarding sea/air freight services and inland transportation. We possess thorough knowledge in spare parts movement, project cargo handling and customs clearance and forwarding, heavy-lift and out of gauge expertise, temporary imports and exports, delivery onshore or offshore and warehousing and storage services.
Our core values are professionalism with honesty and integrity, commitment with dignity and passion.
We are committed to providing highest quality services in all aspects of logistics, clearing and forwarding and customs clearance.
We manage all P&I matters from stowaways, cargo damage and loss, marine pollution, casualty claims and more. We represent a number of IG Clubs as their correspondents in Mombasa. Our focus is to always aim to keep costs to a minimum and reduce tensions by actively discussing the claims matter in a constructive manner with all key stakeholders and interested parties at the earliest opportunity.
We use the latest software accounting packages and understand the need for fast, efficient and accurate FDAs being sent to principals.
- BSC degree in Maritime and Nautical studies John Moore's University, Liverpool 1986.
- 35 years industry experience working for Owners, Charterers, Operators and Agents in Liverpool, London, Dubai and Kenya.
- 21 Years with Inchcape Shipping Services in Africa until June 2016. Last 4 years as Head of Africa.
- Specialised experience of ships agency, Liner marketing and operations, Break Bulk and P and I correspondence agency work, terminal depots and management.
- Joseph joined Inchcape as an operations executive in 1997 and was quickly promoted to Operations Manager Kenya. By the time he left Inchcape in 2016 he was General Manager -Operations for Africa.
- He has a deep understanding of both marine and cargo operations and is well versed with operations and processes at the Kenyan ports and other African ports that fell under his jurisdiction.
- He played a key role in the start-up of various offices in Africa and was fully involved in the running of the business.
- He was also in charge of operation excellence in the region and quality assurance in service delivery.
Head of Operations
- A Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (FICS), and a B.A in International Business from Washington International University (W.I.U).
- Part of the first team involved in the inaugural running the first local state Shipping Line - Kenya National Shipping Lines (KNSL) from 1992, Seaforth Shipping, LOTS Shipping E.A before joining Nisomar (NSM) in 2018.
- Actively involved in policy making in the current Ports Authority Charter - Think tank in the new economic dynamics in the region.
- A statistician and well skilled in agency operations with over 27 years experience in the shipping industry, agency representation of major trading grain houses, the UN -WFP, the major wet, dry, break bulks, projects and specialised cargoes.
- Bachelor of Commerce from University of Nairobi. Member of the Institute of Chartered Ship brokers London. P&I Insurance and Loss Prevention course from North of England P&I club and South Tyneside College in New Castle, England.
- 22 years industry experience as a P&I correspondents’ agent, representing most of the International group and fixed premium clubs in East Africa. During this period Wilson expertly handled a number of high value ship damage, cargo damage, general average, pollution, bunker and B/L claims.
Clearing & Forwarding
- Holder of a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration and Diploma in clearing and forwarding.
- 20 year’s experience working with Japanese companies in logistics including Toyo Construction Co; Ltd for 5 years, Zenitaka Corporation for 8-year, Sumitomo Construction Co; Ltd among others.
- Deep experience and knowledge on imports/export and tax exemption procedures for project cargoes.
- Played a major role during construction of Phase 1 Mombasa Port Development Project, Africa Institute of Capacity Development (IACAD) Project in Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Arts, construction of Japanese Embassy in Nairobi, rehabilitation of hospitals in East and central Uganda among other projects.
Key projects handled in the last year
During the last year Nisomar (NSM) has had the honour to be awarded the agency to handle all aspects of the Toyo, Royal Boskalis dredging works for the additional berths at the second container terminal.
In addition to this Nisomar (NSM) was awarded the agency by CCCC the Chinese Group building the new Kipevu Oil Terminal. Other large projects in recent months have included the handling of project cargo vessels discharging very high value wind turbines for various projects in Kenya.
Our aim now and in the future will continue to be to understand the customer’s needs and in turn provide the best and most cost-effective solutions.